axiom-mail

Re: [Axiom-mail] A question about Axiom capabilities

From: u1204
Subject: Re: [Axiom-mail] A question about Axiom capabilities
Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2013 17:45:54 -0400

AXIOM CATEGORY/DOMAIN GRAPH:

Axiom is working on creating a new web-based front end based on the
AXSERV domain. The static hyperdoc pages are being converted (Book
Volume 11: Axiom Browser). AJAX is used for the dynamic pages to
pass equations and display results.

Eventually the Axiom graphics will be converted to work on an HTML
canvas. I've done some minimal experiments with the HTML canvas so
I have some clue about what we need to write to port Axiom's graphics.

I'd recommend that you consider either a graph that can be drawn on
an HTML canvas or creating SVG files which a browser can read. That
way your work would fit into the long term goals and be easy to
pick up.

AXIOM BROWSER:

Alternatively you could pick up the whole browser effort and maintain
volume 11 as well as the AXSERV domain. The short term goal is to
replace hyperdoc yet preserve all of the current functionality.

You can run the pages standalone (without running Axiom). Suppose
your $AXIOM variable is set to /here/test/mnt/ubuntu. In your
browser you can open the page:
file:///here/test/mnt/ubuntu/doc/hypertex/rootpage.xhtml
and see the current state of the world. Visit

Reference -> Topics -> Numbers -> Integers

and you will see a page from hyperdoc. If Axiom is connected and running
in the background the equations can be clicked on and the results
returned to the browser.

I am currently rewriting the "basic commands" code for hyperdoc
which is in lisp. It implements an html-like language with extensions
for inline latex (Scott Morrison is a very clever fellow and was WAY
ahead of his time.) I'm documenting it as I rewrite it so I know
what to change for the browser functionality. This rewrite will
be the next patch released.

The longer term goal is to make an Axiom "appliance server" which
will be completely browser-driven so it can be used in a classroom
or network setting.

Tim Daly