bibledit-general

Re: [be] Re: About a web based Bible translation environment

From: bahasa kita
Subject: Re: [be] Re: About a web based Bible translation environment
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 20:48:02 -0600

You're right, Dennis,

that the table format will not encourage MTTs to look beyond verse boundaries. In fact, I found that I made the mistake of focusing too much on the verse level just today.

It is ironic that translators often request to see things in a verse-by-verse format, as it helps us to find things on the screen. I know that this was frequently requested in the development of Paratext, as I was one who requested this myself! But I was told that the Bible Societies wanted to encourage people to see beyond verses by keeping the main view in paragraph format. But for all of their careful planning, I'm not sure that paragraph format will really help MTTs to focus on chunks wider than a verse. It really is something we will have to put into our training.

You're right. That final-read through before publishing helps people see naturalness issues! I found my share of changes in the Orya NT!

Phil