bongo-devel

[bongo-devel] Re: Marks

From: Daniel Jensen
Subject: [bongo-devel] Re: Marks
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2007 16:30:10 +0200

Daniel Brockman <address@hidden> writes:

> address@hidden (Daniel Jensen) writes:
>
>> Daniel Brockman <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> address@hidden (Daniel Jensen) writes:
>>>
>>> I wonder why it's called `universal argument', though...
>>
>> I don't know, C-u is a universal argument but it cannot be /the/
>> universal argument. We should let M-& be one too. I agree that the
>> name can be more clear on what the command actually does.
>
> So each command would have to implement support for `M-&'?

No, but it's used like C-u in that it modifies how a command operates.
It's not an actual argument, so it might make sense to call it
something else.

I take back that it's not a good idea to extend it to use a prefix or
the region, I didn't really think about it. If it's not in the way,
then I don't mind. This means maybe that it should not do anything
special when there is no prefix and no region. I don't know if it is
always good to kill the marking before iterating through the lines --
can you think of examples of when it messes things up or when it helps
not to mess up?