bongo-devel

Re: [bongo-devel] Re: Marks

From: Daniel Brockman
Subject: Re: [bongo-devel] Re: Marks
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2007 15:37:33 +0200

address@hidden (Daniel Jensen) writes:

> Daniel Brockman <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> address@hidden (Daniel Jensen) writes:
>>
>> I wonder why it's called `universal argument', though...
>
> I don't know, C-u is a universal argument but it cannot be /the/
> universal argument. We should let M-& be one too. I agree that the
> name can be more clear on what the command actually does.

So each command would have to implement support for `M-&'?
That's an interesting paradigm... but I don't think I get it.

In particular, that's not how your implementation works.

>> What about `bongo-universal-prefix/region/marking-command'?
>
> How about `bongo-universal-marking-argument'?

How is it an argument if the command cannot even detect it?

>> I think it should do it
>>  - on the next N track lines (given a prefix argument N), or
>>  - on every track line in the region (if active), or
>>  - on every marked line (if any), or, otherwise,
>>  - just on the line at point.
>
> I don't agree. That's what you (or I) would use keyboard macros for.

Why not let `5 M-& r' rename the next five tracks?  Why not
let `C-SPC C-SPC 5 n M-& r' rename all tracks in the region?

>> In order to get the right behavior, we'd have to kill the
>> marking before executing the command --- otherwise the
>> command itself might use the marking.
>
> I don't think that's a good idea, I like it just the way I
> wrote it.

Do you like it that way because it is simple or because it
behaves in some particular way you like?

> It's simple, but it's just a kind of macro command anyway. And it
> works like the Gnus command, so there is no real surprise.

Actually, the Gnus command works roughly like I described,
except it does not care about an active region.

Here is the documentation string for `gnus-summary-work-articles':

   Return a list of articles to be worked upon.
   The prefix argument, the list of process marked articles,
   and the current article will be taken into consideration.

--
Daniel Brockman <address@hidden>