Re: [Chicken-users] Subversion support misguided IMHO

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Subversion support misguided IMHO
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2007 11:17:48 -0800

Peter Bex wrote:
But I still don't understand why Chicken as a project has to use two
different versioning systems (or two separate repositories for eggs
& chicken, for that matter).

It doesn't. Darcs is better than Subversion for the active developer. It has patching features that allow open source developers to work in distributed fashion. Mercurial is an alternative that has greater platform reach than Darcs, because it's based on Python. If you're interested in The One True Version Control System, you're welcome to assist us on that, but it's not going to be Subversion.

We probably have Subversion for eggs because someone volunteered their time and energy to set it up. Or maybe it was pre-Darcs, I dunno.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every