Re: [Chicken-users] atlas-lapack egg release 1.0

From: Kon Lovett
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] atlas-lapack egg release 1.0
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 18:10:27 -0700

On Mar 15, 2007, at 5:42 PM, Pierre-Alexandre Fournier wrote:

Hi,

I installed the atlas-lapack egg, thanks again Ivan for this great
contribution. Here are some comments I have after testing it today:

1- You need eggdoc to install atlas-lapack, should this be resolved by
chicken-setup?

Yes. Add it to the needs list in the atlas-lapack egg .meta.

2- Some or all functions are mutating vectors. In the example in the
documentation, after evaluating the solver for A * X = B:

(atlas-lapack:dgesv order n nrhs a b)

vector a contains the L and U matrixes, and b contains the N-by-NRHS
solution matrix X. Should the fact that mutations occur be in the
documentation? Do you think these functions should be marked with "!"
following the Scheme convention?

Maybe. In the above case the bang would be in-order but this api follows the C api.

Appending the bang might not be a good idea. I mean, this is basically the C api, with SRFI-4 vector conversion & Scheme error notification.

3- If vectors a and b contains the solution to the equation, maybe you
could return only the pivot indices so we don't have to use let-values
to use the results. (How do you use let-values with chicken?)

(define (foov a b) (values a b))
(define (barv a b) (values a b))

(let-values (([a b] (foov 1 2)) ([c d] (barv 1 2)))
  (print a #\space b #\space c #\space d) )

I'll keep on testing it and give you more comments later.

Cheers,

Pierre-Alexandre

Thank you,
Kon

2007/3/12, felix winkelmann <address@hidden>:
On 3/11/07, Ivan Raikov <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>     I have created Chicken Scheme bindings for the ATLAS-LAPACK
> library. The ATLAS project (Automatically Tuned Linear Algebra
> Software) is an effort to implement linear algebra routines that are
> optimized to take advantage of SIMD architectures such as SSE and
> AltiVec, and it includes portable optimized implementations of all
> routines in the BLAS library, and of a small subset of the LAPACK
> library.
>
>     The atlas-lapack egg provides an interface to those LAPACK
> routines that have been implemented by the ATLAS project. It is
> available in the eggs SVN repository
> <https://galinha.ucpel.tche.br/svn/chicken-eggs/atlas-lapack/>.
> Could someone upload the egg to the web page, please?
>
> Also, in the next few days I will probably create bindings for some
> more matrix factorization routines in LAPACK, and hopefully eventually
> there will be a lapack egg (or eggs) to provide bindings for the
> entire library.

Egg is uploaded. Thanks, Ivan!