environment and compiling with jikes

From: Eric Blake
Subject: environment and compiling with jikes
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 09:53:01 -0700

I ran into a problem when compiling with Jikes.  I had set the
environment variable BOOTCLASSPATH to Sun's rt.jar, so that I could use
jikes as a dropin replacement to javac, without specifying -classpath,
for regular Java files (ie. not from the Classpath project).  When I
back went to compile Classpath, this sucked in files from rt.jar when
they didn't appear in Classpath, and gave me a clean compile even though
I was expecting failure (because I referenced java.util.regex, which is
not yet in Classpath).

Someone with a little more autoconf knowledge than me should figure out
how to make the default command-line arguments to Jikes include an
explicit -bootclasspath to override any environment variable.  The
cleanest way to guarantee that Jikes is only compiling Classpath files,
and not mixing in some other library because of the environment, is to
compile with these flags:

jikes -bootclasspath '' -extdirs '' -sourcepath '' -classpath <path to
all Classpath files> @classes

--
This signature intentionally left boring.

Eric Blake             address@hidden
  BYU student, free software programmer