Re: [coreutils] Coreutils Solaris extensions

From: John Sonnenschein
Subject: Re: [coreutils] Coreutils Solaris extensions
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 09:45:34 -0700

On 09/10/10 09:16 AM, Eric Blake wrote:
On 09/10/2010 10:03 AM, John Sonnenschein wrote:
Before you get too far into it, please present your high-level
goals on this list.
Well, the features the Solaris native versions of the coreutils have are
roughly as follows:

* chgrp: Windows SIDs (for CIFS/SMB shared volumes.
SAMBA could possibly take advantage of this feature)

More specifically, could you show actual command line uses for these features? That is, what flags or other syntax changes are you proposing adding, that would expose these capabilities.

Perhaps not, nevermind I brought it up. Although SID -> gid mapping could still potentially remain an option for the SAMBA folks if they wanted to extend it further. We do it as a function of our own kernel-level CIFS server

Anything that already has an existing option letter in the Solaris implementation is a good argument for inclusion in coreutils under the same option letter, provided it doesn't conflict with existing usage in coreutils.

Okay, so no problems then with features that may be Solaris specific ( eg, Zones ) ? Assuming they'd be (#ifdef sun)'d out.

-JohnS