ddd

Re: Problem in making ddd

From: Freddy Jensen
Subject: Re: Problem in making ddd
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 08:06:19 -0700

   >From: Andreas Zeller <address@hidden>
   >Date: Mon Apr 2 2001 12:55am
   >To:   <jensen>
   >Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
   >Subj: Re: Problem in making ddd
   >
   >Hi!
   >
   >address@hidden (Freddy Jensen) writes:
   >
   >>   I just wanted to let you know that I found two minor problems
   >>   while building ddd-3.3 with gcc 2.95.2 on AIX4.3.3 and HP-UX-10.20 [...]
   >
   >Thanks!  These will be in the next `PROBLEMS' file.
   >
   >--
   >Andreas Zeller     Universitaet Passau
   >                   http://www.fmi.uni-passau.de/st/staff/zeller/

Andreas,

 Someone asked me about the filesize of the ddd executable
 for HP-UX. I had not even paid attention to it (because we
 have plenty of diskspace), but I discovered that the HP-UX
 executable was 42 MBytes, quite large. I then tried to run
 the "strip" command on it, and it was reduced to 6MBytes,
 much better and ddd seemed to run just fine.

 So my question/suggestion is:

 Shouldn't we add a comment to the ddd build instructions
 about running the "strip" command on the ddd executable
 for all platforms?

 Would there be any disadvantage in doing this?

 Having smaller and leaner executables would probably
 speed up the launch time of ddd, right?

 In a normal development environment we don't really
 need to debug ddd itself.

 Actually, now that I think of it, I probably should do
 the same for gdb-5.0 which I also downloaded, built
 and installed for our Unix user community.

 Does gdb-5.0 have its own mailing list?

Thanks

--
Freddy Jensen, Sr. Computer Scientist, Adobe Systems Incorporated
345 Park Avenue, San Jose, CA 95110-2704, USA, Ph: (408) 536-2869