Re: [Denemo-devel] Master is badly broken

From: Éloi Rivard
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Master is badly broken
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2014 17:01:43 +0200

I don't know. Playing with user's files seems a bit dirty to me. Maybe specify the ".denemo-xx " dir to use with an argument would be a good solution, for tests.

On Wed, 2014-06-25 at 14:19 +0200, Éloi Rivard wrote:
> Don't you think the easiest solution would be to pass an argument to
> denemo that makes just ignore .deneno-xx files ?

As a general principle it is best to create the test harness around the
actual executable that the user is going to run, without special
parameters being passes (which cause different code to execute than the
code the user will ever see). In this case all sorts of consequences
could flow from not having the .denemo-xxx directory functioning in the
way the program expects it to.
I think the ideal way to proceed would be for the test harness to
re-name ~/.denemo-xxx to a temporary name (if it exists) and to copy a
standard one in its place. At the end of testing the .denemo-xxx is
moved into the logs and the user's .denemo-xxx is restored from the
temporary location.
In this way the program is running in a normal environment which is
completely known. Eventually we could have tests that would check for
the correct behavior given specific .denemo-xxx files.