Re: [Denemo-devel] Instrument templates (was Re: Playback View: an impor

From: Jeremiah Benham
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Instrument templates (was Re: Playback View: an important advance for Denemo)
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 23:09:07 -0600

I found this example online. It creates the percussion sounds. Is it the drummode? See the attachment.

Jeremiah

On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 11:25 AM, Richard Shann <address@hidden> wrote:
On Tue, 2016-01-19 at 10:13 -0600, Jeremiah Benham wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 2:39 AM, Richard Shann
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>         On Mon, 2016-01-18 at 22:38 -0600, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
>         > Do we have a percussion staff or drum staff so that  denemo
>         created a
>         > DrumStaff Context. I thought we did at one time. I searched
>         in the
>         > command center but did not see it.
>         >
>         >
>         >
>         http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/percussion-in-midi
>         >
>         It's in Clef Chooser in the Clef menu. It's a bug that "drum"
>         as a
>         search term doesn't find it. I'm not sure how it relates to
>         channel
>         10(coded 9) in GM, nor to the commands about setting tables of
>         drum
>         sounds that Nils created.
>

> I just tested this out. I added a drum clef from the Clef Chooser.

This is the relevant bit of the d-ClefChooser script that you invoked:

(d-InitialClef "Bass")
(d-DirectivePut-clef-override "DrumClef" (logior DENEMO_OVERRIDE_GRAPHIC DENEMO_OVERRIDE_LILYPOND))
(d-DirectivePut-clef-postfix "DrumClef" "\\clef percussion\n ")
(d-DirectivePut-clef-graphic "DrumClef" "DrumClef")
(d-StaffProperties "midi_channel=9")
(d-DirectivePut-voice-display "DrumClef" (_ "Drum Clef"))
(d-DirectivePut-voice-override "DrumClef" DENEMO_OVERRIDE_GRAPHIC)
(d-DirectivePut-voice-prefix "DrumClef" "\\new Voice \\with { middleCPosition = #6 }")

>  I looked in the staff propertis and it did give me midi channel 10.

that's what (d-StaffProperties "midi_channel=9") does.

>  Demo produced drum sounds when I entered notes.

and also when using Denemo's MIDI playback.

>  In playback view though it produced piano sounds.

because LilyPond assigns channels by staff number by default.

>  In the lilypond I see no DrumStaff Context.

yes, there is no d-DirectivePut-staff-prefix to override the \new Staff
with \new DrumStaff

if there were then LilyPond would use channel 10 (coded 9) and things
would match. However it seems then that the \new Voice needs removing
for this as the DrumStaff doesn't need it. So I ran this:

(let ((tag "DrumStaff"))
(d-InitialClef "Bass")
(d-DirectivePut-clef-override tag (logior DENEMO_OVERRIDE_GRAPHIC DENEMO_OVERRIDE_LILYPOND))
(d-DirectivePut-clef-postfix tag "\\clef percussion\n ")
(d-DirectivePut-clef-graphic tag "DrumClef")
(d-StaffProperties "midi_channel=9")
(d-DirectivePut-staff-display tag (_ "Drum Clef"))
(d-DirectivePut-staff-override tag DENEMO_OVERRIDE_GRAPHIC)
(d-DirectivePut-staff-prefix tag "\\new DrumStaff \\with { middleCPosition = #6 } <<\n")
(d-DirectivePut-staff-override tag (logior DENEMO_OVERRIDE_GRAPHIC DENEMO_OVERRIDE_LILYPOND))
(d-DirectivePut-voice-prefix tag "")
(d-DirectivePut-voice-override tag (logior DENEMO_OVERRIDE_GRAPHIC DENEMO_OVERRIDE_LILYPOND))
(d-SetSaved #f))

When I added some notes to this DrumStaff it didn't sound the percussion
in the Playback View so I exported it as LilyPond and added \midi {} to
see what MIDI LilyPond was generating - again no Drum. Attached is the
LilyPond I tested and the midi I got.
So I don't really understand that, and I don't have much notion what
people might want in this area anyway.

Unless you have some idea what is needed I think we can just leave drum
notation until someone asks for it.