Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] How to set up MP-Benchmark Test PowerPC Processo

From: matty
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] How to set up MP-Benchmark Test PowerPC Processors (using Altivec)
Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 18:50:36 +0200

Is it generally possible to use qa_fft.py or the CGRAN gcellized FFT as offloaded portion,
because i want to analyse the benefits of the SPEs on some GNU Radio code.
Therefore a benchmark result like this (http://gnuradio.org/redmine/attachments/104/R-10231-ps3-20090115-0226.png) would be convincing, because you can see the linear dependence between speedup and # of spe's.

Best Regards
Matty

2010/5/3 Eric Blossom <address@hidden>
On Mon, May 03, 2010 at 07:16:18PM +0200, matty wrote:
> Best thanks,
>
> i'm running Fedora 11 with XFCE4! I will run another test in text mode.
> My second benchmark was essentially better.
>
> Is there any usable benchmark-code for *gcell*, where the SPEs are working?

There are benchmarks that test the infrastructure and overhead.
Those are benchmark_nop and benchmark_dma.

You're on your own for the runtime of a given offloaded portion,
but it's easy to measure directly on the SPE using the decrementer.

Eric