Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNURadio scheduler

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNURadio scheduler
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 12:46:25 +0200

Hi Trek,

the scheduler and all the core components holding GNU Radio together are in gnuradio/gnuradio-runtime. The scheduler is mainly composed of the files starting with tpb (==thread per block), block_executor, and block/buffer.

There's http://www.trondeau.com/blog/2013/9/15/explaining-the-gnu-radio-scheduler.html , and especially the presentation linked therein. Though it's from 2013, the flowcharts on the scheduler's workings are still valid; you'll have to add message handling in the block iteration, but other than that, I don't think much has changed.

Other than that: The source code is really its best documentation. Really, compared to most projects I came across, our source files are vividly commented, and the list is almost always eager to both explain concepts and questions regarding any particular line of code, so just ask :)

Greetings,
Marcus