[Discuss-gnuradio] Polyphase Clock Sync for Bursts

From: Garver, Paul W
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Polyphase Clock Sync for Bursts
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2016 19:25:27 +0000

 I want to use the polyphase clock sync block to match filter and clock sync on a bursty signal. The pulse shape is basically square, but from our discussion [1], providing RRC taps works pretty well.  I have snippets (~20k samples) of the signal from an energy detector, which contain the burst plus a little noise / other signals on either side. When I set the file source to repeat, the output of the polyphase clock sync block looks beautiful. However, if I only run for a single loop through the file, the output isn’t correct. I’ve tried increasing the gain, which appears to give nice output on the second file repeat instead of the 3rd or 4th, but still that’s not good enough. Does anyone have insight into how to do burst timing recovery with PF clock sync block? I’ll also note it appears that the M&M clock sync block experiences a similar problem.

PWG