Re: Preferences.app

From: Jeff Teunissen
Subject: Re: Preferences.app
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2002 11:03:20 -0500

Fabien VALLON wrote:

> Jeff Teunissen (deek@d2dc.net) a écrit:

[snip]

> > 1. You can't use NSUserDefaults
> ????
> Why not save your Pref by subclassing willUnselect

Huh? Do you mean overriding the superclass, or something else?

> 2. You have to use CoreFoundation, making it instantly incompatible with
>     both the GPL and LGPL
>
> I don't understand why it can not work with the GNUstep API ?

Because the Apple code requires very specific behaviors that in turn require
CoreFoundation.

> > 3. You have to subclass a particular class
> And ?
> You have to conform to a particular protocol ??

No, I'm giving people a choice between subclassing and implementing the formal
protocol. This is good because you can either subclass the original and
override the functions you need, or implement the protocol directly to avoid
wasted code or to have more control over what's happening. To work on OS X,
you _have_ to subclass. You have no choice.

In general, however, so much functionality is different between any two
preferences modules that subclassing is completely silly. Especially when the
protocol is as mind-bogglingly simple as the one used by Preferences.app.