Re: Transparent Window, or event carcher

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Transparent Window, or event carcher
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2002 22:46:22 +0100 (CET)

> From: Luis Garcia Alanis <luis@sogrp.com>
>
> I am implementig GNUDock.app
>
> andI have a problem, I need to detect the drags to the dock space of
> docking. but there is no way of doing this cleanly.
>
> 1) modify the Desktop of GWorkspace: Works but dragging has to be on the
> desktop. It works by sending a notification from GWorkspace to the Dock
> in order to see the Drag type and if its correct create the dock leaf.
>
> 2) Invisible window goinf from top to bottom of the screen. Width of the
> dock. and catch the drags like a normal app. (not posible, because there
> is no way of creating an invisible window)
>
> 3)define a windowless event rect  for catching events. (no idea of how
> to do this)
>
> 4) have some sort of permanent method checking every time for mouse pos,
> and stuff..... not clean, CPU consuming, ugly hack.
>
> Any ideas of how should I adress this problem?
> How can I know when to dock something If I don't know that its time, and
> something is being dragged.

IIRC, on NeXT,  the dock is managed by  the WorkspaceManager.app. It's
not a  separate application.  The WorkspaceManager is  the application
that handle the drag-and-drop of icons. Therefore, it's easy for it to
check if an icon is moved over a dock position.

Personnaly, I don't  see any reason why the dock  should be a separate
application.  (If we  wanted to change the behavior of  the dock or of
GWorkspace,  we  have  the  sources   to  do  it  and  subclass  their
implementation).

--
__Pascal_Bourguignon__              (o_ Software patents are endangering
()  ASCII ribbon against html email //\ the computer industry all around