Re: Transparent Window, or event carcher

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Transparent Window, or event carcher
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 00:29:06 +0100 (CET)

> > In either case, that seems a lot of complications to me.
>
> This may sound arrogant and beaten to death, but I think the easiest way
> is not always the best way.
>
> Greetings, Lars

My first idea  is that it's simplier done  within GWorkspace, but then
you  remembered  me that  the  possibility  to  run several  workspace
manager  on the  same screen  would  be nice  (in NeXT  times, with  a
-NXHost),  and therefore  that  having several  or  optional docks  is
indeed a good  idea. The case of NeXT alike docks  with holes needs to
be implemented as an exception to the drag-and-drop protocol, but this
may be the worth the added complexity, if done in a general enough way
as  to allow  several  docks (you  though  of it),  and  to allow  too
severall applications be the initiators of the drag to the dock(s).

Note  that screen  areas registered  by applications  for  interest in
"in-empty-space-drops"   should  be   linked   to  a   type  of   data
dragged.  Some  may  want  only  applications, while  other  may  want
documents, or other kind of data.

Now, we need  to think about what  should be done if there  is such an
area over a  given window. In that case, I think  that the window (and
its  application) should have  priority (it's  not empty  space). What
about then the  background, where we could have  an application with a
window in  the background (like  BackSpace.app), but which  should not
receive the drag-and-drop. Can we  just check the layer of the window?
In anycase, would  it be justified to have  some application spying on
the dropping  to other applications, by registering  the whole screen,
but leaving the drop go to the actual window and application?

--
__Pascal_Bourguignon__              (o_ Software patents are endangering
()  ASCII ribbon against html email //\ the computer industry all around