Re: Cocoa To GnuStep port questions

From: Pedro Ivo Andrade Tavares
Subject: Re: Cocoa To GnuStep port questions
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 12:55:51 -0300

At 09:38 11/3/2002, Saibot wrote:
We are going to check how GnuStep can help in making the port from Mac OS X to windows and linux easier, and if we consider it the way to go, probably allocate part of our time in coding for GnuStep.

First of all, thanks for considering the port using GNUstep. I hope you will find it useful; please tell us what problems you find; we can always use more suggestions for improvement.

I am not really familiar with NextStep, only with Cocoa, so if my questions appear stupid, please forgive...

NextStep and OpenStep are similar things, but not the same. OpenStep the operating system could be considered "NeXTStep 4.0", just like MacOS X is "NeXTStep 6.0" (MacOSXServer used to identify itself on uname as rhapsody-5.1, IIRC). NeXTStep the API, however, is mostly dead, having been replaced by OpenStep, Cocoa's forefather.

GNUStep tries to comply both to OpenStep and Cocoa definitions, but not NeXTStep.

My questions are the following:

- Did any of you already try to use a gcc modified with the apple patches to compile ObjC++ code that can run on windows/linux. I don't really care whether anyone but me uses the compiler as long as it generates code that performs the task on these 2 platforms as well as on OS X. So, the patches being accepted into the mainstream gcc are not something I really care about.

When Apple first made available its ObjC++ compiler as source, I tried to compile it on Linux. At the time, the source was in a really bad shape for porters, with plenty of MacOSX-specific code sprinkled throughout it without care. I never got it to produce a working compiler.

However, that was when the Apple compiler was a severely hacked version of gcc 2.7.2. Stan Shebs of Apple has been working for the last few years on the Apple cc code, to bring it closer to the mainlne gcc. I believe the Apple version of gcc 3.0 or gcc 2.95 will compile a lot more cleanly on Linux. Whether it will provide a working executable, I don't know.

Well, this tickles my curiosity... I'll try building Apple gcc3.1 from cvs on Linux, and I'll keep you posted on what happens in a day or two.

 - Does the GnuStep implementation of NextStep support anti-aliasing and floating point coordinates for drawing.

- How does a GnuStep program compare to a Cocoa application in terms of performance? (it is obviously hardware dependant, but an approximation will do me fine).

I believe you will find on the mail archives a recent conversation pointing out that classes such as NSArray are vastly faster on GNUstep than on Cocoa Foundation. However, no such comparison has ever been made on the GUI side of things, and it's possible that it is in need of optimization.

- Is GnuStep closer to NextStep in implementation or to Cocoa when implementations differ?

GNUstep tries to comply to both OpenStep and Cocoa. When there are differences, the #defines STRICT_OPENSTEP and STRICT_MACOSX try to "steer" it. For example, you could #define STRICT_MACOSX to try to get as close as possible to Cocoa.

- Does GnuStep work on windows (I saw some notes about it on the website but couldn't figure out whether it actually works or not, especially since there is an item mentioning "port GUI to windows").

As it has been already mentioned, the base library is working, but the GUI library is still to be ported to Windows.

- Does (or will) a widget (for instance, a NSButton) look the same on windows and linux or do they each rely on the "typical" widget appearance of the OS it runs on?

On Linux, it will have a NeXTStep/OpenStep (the OS) look; on Windows, it will depend on the taste of whoever writes the GUI backend, as it's not working yet ;)

Good luck to you,
Pedro Ivo Tavares