Re: Proposal question.

From: Tim Harrison
Subject: Re: Proposal question.
Date: Wed, 08 May 2002 15:39:10 -0400

Christian Edward Gruber wrote:

Hmm.  I agree with the need for GNUstep specific docs, but frankly, this is
Cocoa... at least in that Cocoa is the heir of OpenStep.  I think that for
places where GNUstep attempts to keep compatibility, it's quite reasonable
to say... at least until we have more docs.

In essence, I agree. However, there are enough syntactic and implementation differences with GNUstep that it would be beneficial to at least use the Apple documentation as a basis for complete GNUstep documentation. That way, GNUstep becomes a one-stop shop for GNUstep development. One doesn't have to head off to Apple's site, read how Cocoa works, then come back to GNUstep and try to figure out the differences. In one way it helps the developer learn both environments. However, having to read one and work out the differences slows down adoption of the environment, especially when GNUstep needs people to develop for it (not only applications, but to assist in advancing the project itself).

This layout worked well for me on OpenBSD, btw.  I simply used
/usr/local/GNUstep as $(GNUSTEP_ROOT), and it all worked nicely from there.
On my own boxes, I will likely use / as the $(GNUSTEP_ROOT), but the above
worked nicely for a port.  In fact, the existing Makefiles source worked
into a port with almost no modification (other than the shared-libs stuff
for OpenBSD)

I've managed to test out a proposal-compliant installation on both LinuxSTEP and OpenBSD. Thus far, it seems wonderful. I haven't had any issues at all.

--

Tim Harrison
tim@linuxstep.org