Unimplemented AppKit classes

From: Alexander Perez
Subject: Unimplemented AppKit classes
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 00:58:59 -0800 (PST)

Folks,

First of all, it's 1AM and I apologize for any discrepancies and/or
providing erroneous information in advance.

I don't know if anyone has done this before, and I hope someone else
finds this information useful. As of 1/21/2003 (assuming the docs at
http://www.gnustep.org/resources/documentation/gui/Gui.html are up to
date, which they very well may not be...), the following classes exist in
Apple's AppKit but not in GNUStep:

*NSDrawer
*NSGlyphInfo
*NSToolbar status?
*NSMovie (QuickTime movie wrapper, quite proprietary)
*NSMovieView (again, QT movie wrapper, also quite proprietary)
*NSNibConnector (should use the following instead of this directly)
*NSNibControlConnector (manages an action in IB..why not PB/Ren. as well?)
*NSNibOutletConnector (ditto, see above)
*NSOpenGLContext (All OpenGL calls are rendered into an NSOpenGLContext.
*NSOpenGLPixelFormat (must specify this to use above...)
*NSOpenGLView
*NSOutlineView (this would be really useful if implemented)
*NSPDFImageRep (renders an image from a PDF format data stream)
*NSQuickDrawView (apple proprietary stuff...lets you use Carbon QuickDraw
        functions inside an NSView.) *NSSimpleHorizontalTypesetter
*NSSound (I seem to remember seeing some traffic on this)
*NSSimpleHorizontalTypesetter
*NSStatusBar (looks useful)
*NSStatusItem (used in conjunction with NSStatusBar)
*NSStepper (this would *really* be useful...looks pretty simple too)
*NSStepperCell (used in conjunction with above)
*NSToolBar (we *really* need a fully-functional implimentation of this)
*NSToolBarItem (also needs to be implimented, see above)
*NSTypesetter (perform line layout (word wrapping, hyphenation, & line
        breaking in vertical or horizontal rectangles))
*NSURLAdditions

Is anyone working on an implimentation of any of the above classes for
GNUStep's AppKit? If so, please "check in" and give us all the
latest status report. Please skip the obligatory "apple extension blah
blah blah"  paragraphs. There seem to be two camps when it comes to
deciding whether or not to impliment these (useful, imo) apple extensions.
IMO, having working applications for the environment is what the ultimate
objective is. People in the mac community use these classes, so why
shouldn't we if they're terribly useful?

Alex Perez
aperez@student.santarosa.edu