Re: Of applications and documents

From: Tima Vaisburd
Subject: Re: Of applications and documents
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 22:29:28 -0700

On Monday 02 June 2003 21:15, David Adam Bordoley wrote:

> What is important is the
> mental model as percieved by the user. In the first example, the user is
> using a program to manipulate the document. In the second example, there is
> a stronger feeling of direct manipulation of the actual document.

I wholeheartedly agree.
Btw a directory (folder) can be seen as another type of document.

> instead I propopse
>
> 1. Open the folder that contains the document
> 2. double click on the document
> 3. It opens in a window that is unique to that document. [...]
> 4. Save the document [...]
> 5. Close the document [...]

How is that different from Explorer and stuff in Microsoft Windows
(I'm not proposing Windows) ?

I propose a slight change in (3) - open the document in the same
window, but be able to edit and save the document.

> artstechnica has an excellent explanation. see:
> http://arstechnica.com/paedia/f/finder/finder-1.html

I'd rather agree with Steve Jobs ;) - reduce the clutter.
I have no problems with transformations inside windows.

I'm more concerned about fast and convenient jumps between
the following objects (or rather, object roles):
1. A file as I edit it - content,
2. The same file, but now as a directory entry -
   I want to manipulate it as a whole,
3. A shell in the directory containing this file - I want to run
    a command on the file or group of files.

Tima.