Fonts in .gorm files

From: Andreas Heppel
Subject: Fonts in .gorm files
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 17:37:15 +0200

Hi folks,
I am using three different machines for development all of them running back-art. Unfortunately, I do not have installed the same .nfont packages on all machines (maybe I should say fortunately, otherwise I wouldn't have seen the problem ;-). What happens is, that if I open my app (respectively the .gorm file) on another machine than the one I created the Gorm stuff on, GNUstep complains about missing fonts and uses some other font (following whichever heuristic). As this usually results in clipped captions and/or ugly replacement fonts, this doesn't look really good. I am using simply the defaults when creating my .gorm files, but as live goes, I obviously have set up different system default fonts on one of my machines which is not present on the others, and this gets stored in the .gorm file. I understand that Gorm just dumps the screen objects onto disk and therefore cannot be blamed. But the question is, what can I do about this? I will never know which fonts are installed on any user's system and whether he will therefore run into the same problem. Even if on opening the .gorm files simply the current default font was used I would never know, whether my labels were large enough.
Does anyone have advice for me?

TIA
Andreas

--
Andreas Heppel

Mail: aheppel at web dot de
Home: http://www.andreasheppel.de

Check out Burn.app - the CD burning frontend for GNUstep
http://gsburn.sourceforge.net