Re: of applications for gnustep...

From: Nicolas Roard
Subject: Re: of applications for gnustep...
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 02:14:43 +0100

On 2003-06-14 23:38:56 +0000 Philip Mötteli <moetteli.bulk@bluewin.ch> wrote:

(snip)
(I know, I shouldn't feed the troll...)

>> I really do not believe that this kind of attitude helps getting more (new)
>> people attracted to GNUstep and/or Objective-C.
>
> You are the first, who sais, that we have to say, that C++ is great or at
> least as great as ObjC, in order to attract more people to gnustep. Others
> have been talking about killer apps or completing the libraries. Well it's a
> it's a new proposition. Lets talk about it.
> I don't think, we will attract a lot of programmers, by hyping C++, are we?
> But I think, having ObjC++ would help attract some people. And now we're back
> at the original thread.

He's not saying that C++ is as great as ObjC, but that bashing C++ (and thus,
C++ programmers) won't help attracting new programmers to GNUstep -- with many
of them which are currently C++ users.

I agree with him; many programmers loves their languages (like you and
Objective-C),
and they tend to love "religion wars"... so attacking the most used OO language
today
will only lead to some bashing from C++ programmers than to a huge attraction of
interessted programmers. I don't think it's really a good thing for GNUstep.

That's said, I largelly prefers Objective-C to C++ myself (I used to program in
C++), and
we could advertise on some original features of Objective-C (categories,
forwarding).

ObjC++ only interesst will be to simplify the use of _existing_ C++ libraries.
I don't
think people consider ObjC++ as a new language (damn, I don't know why it even
has
a name !) -- it's just the possibility to mix in the same source two different
languages.
I don't know if that will attract some people (not sure it will), but I know
that this feature
will be used by *us* to use existing code (for example, in order to make a web
browser,
or to use H323 libraries, etc.)

--
Nicolas Roard