Re: Mouse Wheel support in GNUstep?

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Mouse Wheel support in GNUstep?
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 17:52:59 +0200

Hi Dirk,

Dirk Olmes wrote:
Strange. Just did a cvs update and reinstalled, still the mouse wheel does not work. Where do I have to start looking to track it down a little bit?

Here's my system config:
- USB mouse on a ThinkPad A22m
- Gentoo Linux
- mouse wheel works for other apps so I guess X is configured correctly
- GNUstep from cvs

looks like you will have to debug this on your own, as nobody else can reproduce it. I assume that you are at least a bit familiar with C/Objective-C programming, than this wont be a big task. As a starting point you shoudl try to find out, how GNUstep sees your mouse. To do this you will have to add a few output lines to the method _setupMouse in the file back/Source/x11/XGServerWindow.m. Looking at the code shows that the case of four mouse buttons is not handled at all and that more than five buttons may be treated wrong. Luckily the Changelogs for the old xgps backend are lost in the mists of time, so nobody can put the blame for this on me. If your mouse is detected correctly you will have to do the next step and investigate how scroll events are raised. This is done in XGServerEvent.m (same directory) lines 330 to 340. Just add a few more debug lines to find out if this ever gets called. If it is called than the scroll wheel should be working! Perhaps you are just expecting to much from it. It is best to check with a scroll view, for example in a document window of Ink.app.

Good luck
Fred