Re: One for our asian language experts...

From: Alexander Malmberg
Subject: Re: One for our asian language experts...
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 13:25:39 +0200

Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
[snip]
> However, IIRC the pasteboard system basically just sets some atoms to
> say what type of data you have, and converts between our internal
> unicode representation and the (basically ascii) text format that was
> the
> only example of X cut and paste I could find.  I don't expect it would
> need
> a major rewrite to extend that to whatever mechanism X has for
> internationalised
> text cut and paste

I don't think a major rewrite is needed, just support for new data
types. From what I've seen (which, when it comes to X, is as little as
possible), UTF8_STRING looks like the easiest way:

http://www.pps.jussieu.fr/~jch/software/UTF8_STRING/

although there seems to be an older and more complex COMPOUND_TEXT that
could be used as well.

- Alexander Malmberg