Re: Project Center inspiration sshots

From: Markus Hitter
Subject: Re: Project Center inspiration sshots
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 13:19:48 +0100

Am 03.01.2005 um 11:55 schrieb Björn Giesler:

[a chart about some programming environment]

Björn,

perhaps it's because I'm not a software scientist but a hobbyist programmer, but I don't understand your chart at all. The idea about a chart based code editor sounds very interesting, however.

I did some Cocoa projects successfully and have some average knowledge about procedural and object oriented programming, so I'll put my $ 0.02 here as a measure for your ideas on how easy to understand they are.

Do you have a link where you have this chart from?

If you made it yourself, ...

- Why is "Date & Time" in such a prominent place. I can't remember any situation where the current time has an affect in the resulting binary. Except for the build system, of course, but this should be done 100 % automatically anyways.

- The arrwos from "Class" and "Metaclass" ... looks like you have something like multiple inheritance in mind. This is discouraged in OpenStep/Cocoa.

- "Metaclass" = super class? There is no mention about something "meta" in the whole Cocoa documentation (as of Xcode 1.2).

- What's the difference between "Filing" and "File System". Why has the coder to care about code storage at all (other than a "open project"/"close project")?

- All I know about OOP says, an object is an instance of a class. So, objects don't have methods. Classes have. Do you collect instance methods in the "Object" box while class methods go elsewhere? Is there some other point of view?

Thanks for your comments,
Markus

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/