Re: Look and Feel

From: Graham J Lee
Subject: Re: Look and Feel
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 13:20:53 +0000

On 13 Feb 2005, at 11:56, Randi Joseph wrote:

Apple spends millions of dollars getting its interface right. Even Steve Jobs who manages to force a single button mouse down our throats realized that an made the change.

If you mean that Apple has changed to have a two button mouse, I'm glad to hear it ... I resent the single button on my apple laptop.

"...manages to...". i knew that sentence was a problem after i sent it. i was referring to the scrollbars :-)

As far as good ideas/decisions go, maintaining the right scrollbar and the main menubar was smart. I think they should have offered nextstep users an option, but thats not apple's tendency.

defaults write NSGlobalDomain NSInterfaceStyle nextstep
disappeared after OS X Server 1 :-(

I believe that if the left handed scrollbar was easy to get accustomed to, steve would have left it that way.

Perhaps; I think this shows the 'right-hand scrollbar' to be - now, anyway - an historical artefact. An ergonomicist may find an argument to say that the left-hand path is better, but if you're used to right then right is better. More Apple users are used to RH scrollbars than LH.

the users that GNUSTEP is trying to woo is no diffent from the apple crowd. they will balk.

I agree with RFM on this one - some people prefer certain UI decisions, others prefer others. If the software can be written in such a way to offer a genuine choice, then more people are satisfied. There isn't (IMHO, IANAJR[*]) an objectively "good" user interfaces, just a lot of subjectively good ones. Some people like the NeXT way, some people like the Mac way, some people are accustomed to the Windows way. I like bits of the NeXT, Mac and X interfaces, for example. Some people would even eschew the mouse completely and happily run their Canon Cat. In my opinion the best user interface would be one with documented and easily-accessible flexibility; the default style need then be the only thing everyone jihads on ;-)

[*]I Am Not A Jef Raskin

Cheers,
--
Graham Lee                       GPG Key ID: 01D5B9D8
UNIX Systems Manager, Oxford Physics Practical Course