Re: Site, apps and CMS (Was: Re: StepTalk blog)

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: Site, apps and CMS (Was: Re: StepTalk blog)
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 19:28:48 +0100

Stefan Urbanek <stefan@agentfarms.net> wrote:
> Suggestion to get more voulenteers? Switch to a site editing method with
> no obstacles. You need contents maintainers, not web designers.
> Therefore you need someone who can press 'edit' button and edit plain
> text, not someone who has to know CVS. And yes, CVS is very great barier
> for editors.

Why? I've met this reasoning before and about as few people will
learn a web editing interface as will learn CVS, in my experience.

CVS is not very hard. It's one command on a menu (Tools > Version
Control) in Emacs to save with a comment, or make a diff for
emailing to webmasters. Is this really a "very great barrier"?
At least CVS is common across many free software projects and
most newer version control generally has a similar workflow,
so people can gain transferable skills by working on gnustep.org.

Please can all willing editors who find this too hard let us know.
Then we can try making it easier, or switch editing method.

> > >From another message from Stefan:
> > > [...] they have a kind of bridge between mailman and the forum [2], so
> > > every
> > > post to the ubuntu lists gets published at the forum as a standard
> > > message.
> > > Does GNUstep has any resources (machine, time,...) to set up such forum?
> >
> > Isn't that what gmane, google groups and others do already? We've
> > been around for a while, so are on these services, while youngsters
> > like ubuntu have to do it for themselves.
> No, it isn't. It is decetralised and distant to GNUstep.

GNUstep development is pretty decentralised, you know?

> [...] It is about bringing all stuf together and
> make it more accessible. It is not so obvious that one can search google
> groups for gnustep discussions. [...]

That's because we deliberately link to GMANE at the moment instead,
so as not to duplicate, because they offer more of our lists and
a better interface. Do you think we got that wrong?

> > * Someone to track the security updates!! phpBB2 is very common and
> > very quickly exploited automatically when a bug is found. Who will
> > commit to doing this and for how long?
>
> Do you have a suggestion for another forum application? It is very easy
> to say: "this is not good". [...]

Mostly I am using punbb, but that needs maintaining too.
Note I did *NOT* say "this is not good" or anything like it.
I wrote "Who will [maintain] it and for how long?"

It's very easy to argue against silly things that no-one posted,
but it's also very silly.

> I am against war, so I am not going to comment this either. I will say
> only that I have the same impression: the community is closed. [...]

The main things giving that impression are:
1. the community is busy, on GNUstep and other things;
2. a small number of nidjits say they think it is closed
and offer "solutions" which may not improve things.

It then proceeds more-or-less to argue for apple pie, which
no-one will dispute much. I'll have a slice, please.

Thanks,
--
MJ Ray (slef), K. Lynn, England, email see http://mjr.towers.org.uk/