Re: FOSDEM 2006 - Saturday dinner

From: comrade
Subject: Re: FOSDEM 2006 - Saturday dinner
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 23:55:38 +1100

On Sat, Nov 19, 2005 at 12:57:27PM +0100, Manuel Guesdon wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 20:07:45 +0100 Helge Hess <helge.hess@opengroupware.org>
> wrote:
>
>  >| On 18. Nov 2005, at 19:39 Uhr, Nicolas Roard wrote:
>  >| > done: http://mediawiki.gnustep.org/index.php/FOSDEM_2006
>  >| >
>  >| > ask webmasters@gnustep.org to be added to the wiki edit group, or if
>  >| > you just want to be inscribed on this page, send me a mail.
>  >|
>  >| A Wiki where people can't edit somehow contradicts the idea? No?
>
> Please see messages concerning 'spammers' problems.
> Noone came with a better idea to avoid this problem.

Here's one:

Please consider allowing tentative write access in a way like
subscribing to mailing lists:

You enter your screen name, real name a password. This is as usual to
register an editor account. You also enter an email address. You will
receive an email containing a large random string in both the subject
and the body. There is also a small text for unintended recipients to
disregard the mail. You reply, and the account is enabled. There are
probably already mediawiki components that do this somewhere.

This will decrease the number of spammers significantly. An optional
further enhancement: Allow three registered authors to freeze an account's
write privileges for 48 hours and the name to be put on an admin
watchlist with comments.

But even the first thing will avoid the bots fairly well. It works for
mailing lists adequately, and should work better than the current
approach we've got.

Allow more people - perhaps like cbv? - who are regular wiki maintainers
to rollback all changes of single users. Allow them to block single
users.

Peter