Re: really attracting developers

From: Chris Vetter
Subject: Re: really attracting developers
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2006 13:41:30 +0200

On 2006-09-03 12:36:13 +0200 joekewoud_@joekewoud.nl wrote:
[...]
So, after finding out, I installed linux, and used binary packages. Now most things did work. BUT I DON'T WANT TO USE LINUX!

Who does? *ducks*

[...]
- it has to run on windows smoothly and beautifully, with the app having a windows like gui. (Come on guys, windows is the most used platform! This would bring nextstep to the masses!) (- same maybe for linux/unix, with the app having a more common unix like experience (kde?) (Don't want to leave ppl out, right))

Now this is what I do not get. Well, yes, for Windows maybe, but NOT for systems using X11 and GNOME or KDE in particular.

IF people really have a problem with the different look of GNUstep and MAC, then WHY are there so many Aqua based themes and patches to make GNOME *and* KDE look more like OSX? Baghire is one example. Heck, there's even a theme for e16 (enlightenment) that makes it look MAC'ish.

- Also remarks should be added to the website about best practices, so that not too many hours should be spend on setting up configurations that do not give the expected results.

Absolutely.

- Developer-tools should look and behave more "finished"

In my experience, an application never really IS finished...

- There should be converter tools to assist making osx source run on gnustep
[...]

If I remember correctly, Greg (the maintainer of Gorm and GUI) was looking into implementing Xcode support.

--
Chris