Re: GWorkspace mdextractor problem

From: Philippe Roussel
Subject: Re: GWorkspace mdextractor problem
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 16:00:52 +0100

On 2007-02-14 12:27:25 +0100 Richard Frith-Macdonald <richard@tiptree.demon.co.uk> wrote:

Sorry for not getting back to you ... I modified svn-trunk yesterday to check for the presence of a leading '~' in a path component and refrain from calling rootOf() in that case.

And it works for me, thanks.

Howerver, I'm not entirely sure what the correct behavior is ...
I'm fairly sure that we should just ignore (ie don't treat specially) a '~' on all systems. I'm also fairly sure we should just strip leading path separators from the component on all systems. However, what to do about a drive: prefix or a //host/share prefix is less clear ... Perhaps we should simply append the string and generate a debug log about non-portable paths on unix,
and raise an exception if running under windows?

If the append string is supposed to be a relative path, it would probably be enough to strip any leading separator from the component, any ending separator from the path and the append path+separator+component :

Path            Component
//server        home/user       => //server + / + home/user
//server        /home/user      => //server + / + [/]home/user
//server/       /home/user      => //server[/] + / + [/]home/user
/                       /home/user      => [/] + / + /home/user

Or am I missing something big here ?

Philippe
--
I've not lost my mind. It's backed up on tape somewhere.