Re: Objective-C 2.0 and other new features in Leopard

From: Riccardo
Subject: Re: Objective-C 2.0 and other new features in Leopard
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 23:04:45 +0100

Hi,

On 2007-11-09 10:23:18 +0100 Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf
<lars.sonchocky-helldorf@hamburg.de> wrote:

> Well, I am trying to play my part in there, I am currently porting an
> OPENSTEP/Rhapsody sound editor (Resound) first to OS X and later to  GNUstep.
> Progress is slow, I am currently facing some obstacles which  I don't know
> how to resolve yet (I got a header problem on OS 4.2 and  troubles to remove
> the dependency from the ancient NeXT SoundKit on  OS X - no SoundKit there -
> but the /somewhat/ similar MusicKit from  Leigh Smith exists)

Application is currently I think the biggest hurdle. If you feel, you can put
Resound into GAP and we could try to share our scarce resources.

Techncially there are quite some Applications inside GAP, but they are
incomplete, don't work properly, are not released, etc etc. It is hard work.

> - an easy installation and setup process for GNUstep is essential in  my
> opinion. It must be easy for the curious "chance customer" to get  an
> experience of GNUstep. It doesn't matter if this is achieved by an  simpler
> installation process or by providing GNUstep in a binary  form, for instance
> as a Live CD image. Maybe we should get our act  together and use some
> "synergies" (as in marketing speak ;-)). For  instance link projects related
> to GNUStep like Étoilé from the  GNUstep website more prominently (also
> with a hint that you can get a  Live CD there).

I agree here. We shall follow two routes im my opinion:
- binary packages for distributions. People prefer just to use the official
package system (rpm, dpkg, ports or windows installer)
- a live CD. Even if we can have a "gnustep livecd" and an "etoile livecd" the
two could share a lot of work
- for the gnustep purist an installer for the application shall be available.
GAP will provide such tool. The goal is that once core is available, all GAP
applications shall be installable with it.

> I'd say "act differently" (from what we are acting now) I think we  need to
> make GNUstep more visible (to both users and developers):
>
> - fight the common misconceptions about GNUstep (like: "GNUstep? I  use
> WindowMaker too!") with a short slogan that explains the most in  just two
> words: "code differently". Add this as a tagline to our  website and use it
> on merchandising stuff (like t-shirts):
>
> "GNUstep - code differently" (maybe  even something ObjCish: [GNUstep  code:
> @"differently"];)
indeed, indeed. A difficult route bt may be worth it.

> To attract more developers we might need to remove possible obstacles  for
> others to get involved. What would that be? To my mind come here  the
> installation hurdles, difficult first steps for new developers  and maybe
> even the need to sign the copyright over to FSF might shy  some people away.

let's stop with this FSF talk, there is enough to do without having to sign
anything.

> - the easy access is important here to (like already said above)
> - but also the code as such should be as easy accessible as possible  like
> you already mentioned

we have excellent nightly tarballs, they aren't advertised, but they are very
handy. I use them as test on boxes wihtout SVN.

> - maybe we need tutors that help newbees on their first steps in  developing
> for or with GNUstep (well this might be difficult because  it is very time
> consuming)
We also need to know where they come from and on what they want to install on.
Tutuorials could merge in the Wiki

Nice coding,
  Riccardo