Re: Cross Compiling for OS X?

From: Blake Nicholson
Subject: Re: Cross Compiling for OS X?
Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 07:36:03 -0400

On May 5, 2008, at 4:22 AM, Andreas Höschler wrote:

Hi Blake,

Setting identical settings for a project and its targets should not be necessary. I have not specifically set the installation settings you describe (I install from my GNUstep GNUmakefile),

I tried that! The frameworks built and installed fine, I could even run an application built with XCode and Debug as the target. But as soon as I switched to Release I got an error message that the frameworks haven been built for the wrong platform!? Rather weird! Are you building your applications (linking to your frameworks) with XCode or with gnustep make?

Andreas,

The error you get about the wrong platform is due to the fact that by default the Debug build configuration just builds for the architecture on which you are compiling, whereas Release will build a universal binary. If you haven't built all of the frameworks against which your application links as universal binaries, then you'll get this error.

You have two options:
1) Change your build settings so your Release build configuration does not build a universal binary. 2) Re-build all of your frameworks as universal binaries so your application can be built as a universal binary.

For option 1, you need to go to your Project's build settings (Project ... Edit Project Settings) and switch to the Release configuration. Update the Architectures setting (it's the first one) so that it only lists your architecture.

Let me know if any issues come up.

Blake