Re: How to get a running GNUstep desktop ?

From: Rubens_Septimus
Subject: Re: How to get a running GNUstep desktop ?
Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 15:47:38 -0700 (PDT)

Truls Becken wrote:

> Rubens_Septimus wrote:
>> The error occured while doing : sudo -E make install in AboutEtoileEntry
>> :
>>
>> Making all in Subprojects/AboutEtoileEntry...
>> make[4]: entrant dans le répertoire «
>> /home/patrick/gnubuntu01/ETOILE/Etoile/Services/Private/MenuServer/Subprojects/AboutEtoileEntry
>> »
>> Making all for bundle AboutEtoileEntry...
>>  Creating AboutEtoileEntry.sysbarentry/Resources/Info-gnustep.plist...
>> /bin/sh: plmerge: not found
>> make[5]: *** [AboutEtoileEntry.sysbarentry/Resources/Info-gnustep.plist]
>> Erreur 127
>> make[4]: *** [AboutEtoileEntry.all.bundle.variables] Erreur 2
>> make[4]: quittant le répertoire «
>> /home/patrick/gnubuntu01/ETOILE/Etoile/Services/Private/MenuServer/Subprojects/AboutEtoileEntry
>
> From the output you see that plmerge was not found. This is a tool
> that is part of -base, so probably the problem still is that GNUstep
> is not included in $PATH while you make install as root.
>
> Check that plmerge is there when not running as root, by issuing
> "which plmerge". When that's confirmed, find a way to not loose your
> environment while installing. Two ideas are to let sudo run a script
> that sources GNUstep.sh before make install, or change /etc/sudoers so
> that you environment is not changed by sudo (something about SETENV,
> NOSETENV or UNSETENV flags I guess).
>
> Truls

Well, I found the right way doing this :

make
sudo -s
### which preserve LD_LIBRARY_PATH
make install
### No more errors !!!
exit
./setup.sh
### trying the userlevel setup

I found a missing test in setup.sh : the script does'nt test if the Fonts
directory exist. So copying fonts in there failed :

00:10:32 (400.54 KB/s) - « etoile-default-fonts.tar.gz » sauvegardé
[27075607/27075607]

Copying Fonts in /home/patrick/GNUstep/Library/Fonts
cp: la cible `/home/patrick/GNUstep/Library/Fonts' n'est pas un répertoire
# I translate : cp: the target ... is not a directory

Maybe sould we add something like this after adding the Etoile directory :

# Test or Create Fonts directory
if [ ! -d "$setupdir/Fonts" ]; then
        echo "Creating $setupdir/Fonts directory";
        $SUDO mkdir $setupdir/Fonts
fi