[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: Changes I've been thinking of...
Re: Changes I've been thinking of...
Fri, 09 Oct 2009 23:38:52 +0200
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; FreeBSD i386; en-US; rv:220.127.116.11) Gecko/20090906 SeaMonkey/1.1.18
I think you have many good points there. However, GNUstep is a wide
project and targets many different users.
Many things you want do not clash with other goals, they only divert
manpower. But keep in consideration that in an opensource project people
do whatever they deem interesting or useful, there isn't a central planning.
This statement is true, though, do you agree? The problem is that it is
reductive, but I think it is true. GNUstep is perhaps more.
1. Maturity of GNUstep code for developers (functionality, docs,
2. GUI appearance
Gregory, behind all things you've mentioned I see a goal that can be
expressed by the
following phrase: "World (all stuff outside of GNUstep) acceptance of
GNUstep as alternative
developer framework that will help creating of alternative desktop
Do you really think that improving website, theme (argh!) lead us to
rise of user attention
to GNUstep? I don't think so. I see a lot of people comparing GNUstep
with GNOME/KDE ("What's
I think so. We may argue about theming, but a good, informative and
usable website is really useful!
3. Stop trying to work everywhere. Let's make it working good at one
place, then go to another. Let's
speak frankly - we can't compete with Qt. Despite the existing of
DO, Objective-C and other great things.
I disagree here. Being portable is a big asset and we can do that!
5. Finish gnustep-gui as it is. Problem areas are: text subsystem,
fonts, graphics to name a few.
6. Create working destop environment for developers at least. Some day
I realized that I'm working
inside mess of not interacting things. My plan is:
- Create Login application
working on that, check GAP
what's wrong with SystemPreferences? Recently also GWorkspace's indexing
panel got fixed.
- Create Preferences
- Create Workspace Manager (Workspace + WindowMaker), excellent
integration of GNUstep with it (focus,
That's fine, but I'd put it lower priority. I care that we need to work
well with other windowmanagers too. The best I see medium term is to
enable/disable duplicate components and create a gnsutep-based
app management, dock interaction).
it can be improved indeed. It works well, but I miss some features. ON
the todo list.
- Create Terminal application based on Alex Malmberg application.
This is a sensible point. GNUmail is unmaintained sadly. Also in some
sense it is "too much" having features here and there, while it lacks
certain things i'd like.
- Create Mail application (GNUmail can be used as starting point).
Oh I hope that! I want to be able to maintain most projects in GAP with
PC. You knwo I am a long-time PC user. Before even you started
- Finish ProjectCenter (anyway it's my responsibility).
7. Make it clean, fast and simple as NS/OS. Personally I'm tired of
bloated desktop environments (KDE/GNOME).
Totally agreed! Even Mac is not clean anymore. I'd like something along
mac 10.2/10.3 in terms of features, but with a more consistent, less
shiny interface, more NeXTstep...
I want improved (at reasonable degree) OPENSTEP.
Sure, it needs to be somethign useful and clean. I don't want to aim at
GNOME or KDE; but something along the line of Xfce.
It's not a plan targeting on world domination. It's plan to make
comfortable development environment as I see it.
And if it will be comfortable to me it can be useful to somebody else.
Summarizing this long email: we should focus on achievable goals by
narrowing down portability and loosing
competition with MacOS for now. Let's agree on strong, clean, simple
vision of project future and users will
Agreed. We need both users and developers.
But I can also tell you that most development in the past 2 years was
good. GNUstep improved (much more than it broke). But a bit "too little"
unfortunately in some areas and thus they are unfinished...
Re: Changes I've been thinking of...,
Riccardo Mottola <=
Re: Changes I've been thinking of..., Richard Stonehouse, 2009/10/08
Re: Changes I've been thinking of..., Michael Thaler, 2009/10/09
- Re: Changes I've been thinking of..., (continued)
- Re: Changes I've been thinking of..., Markus Hitter, 2009/10/09
- Re: Changes I've been thinking of..., Riccardo Mottola, 2009/10/09
- GNUstep's clipboard (Was: Changes I've been thinking of...), Wolfgang Lux, 2009/10/10
- Re: GNUstep's clipboard (Was: Changes I've been thinking of...), Fred Kiefer, 2009/10/11
- Re: GNUstep's clipboard (Was: Changes I've been thinking of...), Wolfgang Lux, 2009/10/12
- Re: Changes I've been thinking of..., Sergii Stoian, 2009/10/09