Re: New -base release?

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: New -base release?
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 22:12:08 +0200

Hi,

to get back on this topic. Things look bright at the end of the tunnel, so it would be nice to clean up some other small details before a shiny new release.

1) locale / timezone on OpenBSD and FreeBSD.
[NSTimeZone systemTimeZone]
needs to return something sensible... (or all apps will complain at startup)
One thing to note is that apparently the "new" localtime is supported, but the "old" not. I did check this only quickly with David on FreeBSD. Perhaps fixing this fixes some other platforms too.

/usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Rome: timezone data, version 2, 6 gmt time flags, 6 std time flags, no leap seconds, 170 transition times, 6 abbreviation chars

vs.

/etc/localtime.bck: timezone data, old version, 6 gmt time flags, 6 std time flags, no leap seconds, 170 transition times, 6 abbreviation chars

(doesn't work)

2) cygwin tmp files directory as shown in my tests

3) cygwin bundle support, at least with our own libobjc 1.6 (since it works with mingw, it should for cygwin too)

I would not consider cygwin blocking, but I think it would help a lot to get base working on it for this release. Perhaps, if no other problems arise, it would even make it usable again

A gcc 2.95 check would be good too. Sadly my main box for that has a startup problem and Sebastian is not around, so maybe I can find another way.

Riccardo