Re: [ERROR] Unable to get socket name. Why?

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: [ERROR] Unable to get socket name. Why?
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2012 14:43:27 +0200

Hi, Ma!

On Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 4:44 AM, Ma Xiaoming <maxiaoming10000@hotmail.com> wrote:
Hello Jamie,

I don't have an iMac or a MacBook, so I can only study Objective-C with
GNUstep on Windows.

First of all, best development experience for GNUstep is available under free UNIX-based operating systems, such as GNU/Linux, a variant of BSD or some other system. That's exactly the direction Riccardo pointed you in.

It may be a good idea for you to try your code under something like Ubuntu or the GNUstep-VM, available at the link that Riccardo provided for you.

I downloaded a "Base Programming Manual" pdf file to
study the fundamental of GNUstep. You could find it at
http://www.gnustep.org/developers/documentation.html. The first PDF for
downloading at General Manuals section.

You can also review Apple's documentation; it's extensive and well written. You should also look at the section on that page titled "GNUstep Developer Mini-Tutorials".

In the 7 chapter of this book, it describes a Client/Server structure. I was
very exciting about it, because it is seems like a great structure for
Internet game programming. But unfortunately, even I could compile the
Server code, but I cannot run it on my machine. When I try to run it, the
command line told me that unable to get socket name. I was so frustrated
about it, because until now, I cannot figure out what's going on.

It may simply be a bug in the Windows implementation. Windows Sockets have subtle differences from sockets on other platforms (and even implementations on other platforms sometimes have subtle differences).

If you're still learning, I'd suggest that you try out the code under a free operating system (again, Ubuntu 12.04 is a good one, and so should GNUstep-VM be). If it still doesn't work, you should check with the latest revision checked into Subversion repository at http://svn.gna.org/svn/gnustep/modules/

If it doesn't work even with the latest SVN code, then the problem is probably in your code.

--
Ivan Vučica - ivan@vucica.net