Re: Kickstarter was not successful... but it did help things...

From: Tom Bruno
Subject: Re: Kickstarter was not successful... but it did help things...
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 17:39:37 -0600

I've read lots of discussion about pro-Apple/non-Apple etc. Both technical and
non-technical. Being completely new to GNUstep, I just wanted to take a second
to share why I am excited I've found the project & what it means to me.

I came to Objective-C and Mac/iOS development about 2 years ago.  I had
previously a majority of my experience in Linux C++ and Qt4.  I instantly fell
in-love with the completeness provided by the OSX/iOS platform and found my
self very surprised to see such an ecosystem around Objective-C. You don't need
3rd party toolkits such at Qt4 to do amazing work, its all just built right
into the platform.

        As all of you discuss what to do, where to go, etc. I just ask you to
keep in mind. I'm coming to GNUstep because I'm excited that I will be able to
use the design patterns, language features, and just all the goody goodness
I've experienced when developing on OSX.  IMO other platforms such as Windows
and Linux fall just short of such a complete system.  By sticking close to the
work that is already done by Apple we allow developers also in-love with the
platform to just pick up and be productive without having to learn all the
different ways GNUstep is different than Cocoa. Also, the closer GNUstep is to
Cocoa we get a lot of other things for free (if we want them) such as API
documentation, proven design patterns, and lots of QA done on the API itself.

I'm not saying to strictly follow Apple and do nothing else, there is tons of
fun to be had extending cocoa even on Apple's platforms. Apple has just created
a wonderful platform & I'm excited to see people wanting to bring its tools and
environment to Linux.

Many thanks to all of you who have worked hard on GNUstep, it really is a great
thing!

Tom