Re: Savannah vs. Gitlab

From: Alessandro Sangiuliano
Subject: Re: Savannah vs. Gitlab
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2015 09:40:57 +0100

I think we should see what is the best choice for GNUstep making it to be accessible to users and developers as easy as we can, so:

- Github: fork code with a button; start a new repo with a button; easy management of merge request, not so bad in showing diffs; interesting plugins; maybe not so nice in bug tracking; it uses git that is OPEN SOURCE, you are not forced to use its proprietary front-end; it is probably the most used platform to host code; it is full of people; what we need absolutely… people!
- I never heard about Gitlab before, so I can’t talk about it.
- Savannah: Seems a place where requests take weeks before to be completed; it doesn’t have the Github features in managing repos and projects; it looks a bit abandoned; to contribute to a project a person has to ask for an account and then for  permissions. On github a person can fork the code, contribute to it, then does a merge request and project managers can accept it or just discard it in an easy way.

I vote for Github.

Alex.