Re: [DotGNU]Xml linkage in .NET (Was: My Favorite soapbox : XML linkage)

From: Barry Fitzgerald
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Xml linkage in .NET (Was: My Favorite soapbox : XML linkage)
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 07:43:06 -0400

Gopal V wrote:

> Not exactly ... from what I could understand .NET allows you to get
> past all those woes . The .NET remoting system allows you to use
> pluggable modules to remotely execute stuff ... This would allow
> you to simply wrap the native API in C# ... (from what I know , this
> is trivial) and invoke between AppDomains using whatever Remoting
> available .... An inVM remoter might even avoid the actual SOAP/XMLRPC
> call and pass thr func through the VM ...

Sort of like loading a library and then using the internal map to
referrence it's functions dynamically.  I figured that something like
that could be created (or had already been) and thus, like I said, even
if it could be a trivial issue to expose the functions, you'd still have
to put the work into interpreting them with a user program... which is
not a trivial task...

> > webservice issue without the nice XML-RPC formatting.
>
> Well that is IT ! ... Do your own binary protocol and you have ....
> (yick!)

Haha - yeah, but technically it's not a new issue... :)

> > But, I feel sorry for any company that even tries to do this.  It
> > really is cost prohibitive.
>
> But we should *not* help them in this work !

Firmly agreed - but we may not have much of a choice.  They will do it
anyway - and I still think it's better to have a Free Software
implementation so that we still control enough of the field to not be
made irrelivent should webservices take off...

        -Barry