Re: [DotGNU]A request for help ... a mass effort

From: James Michael DuPont
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]A request for help ... a mass effort
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 03:58:23 -0800 (PST)

Rhys,
I think i understand the problem.

--- Rhys Weatherley <address@hidden> wrote:
> James Michael DuPont wrote:
> The C front-end has a function called "CGenCloneLine" which makes
> the process a little easier, but it would certainly be nice to find
> a better (yet simple) way of solving this problem.  Or simply track
> down every place is semantic analysis where replacement nodes are
> created and add a call to "CSCloneLine" or something.

OK, I would say that the functions like ILNode_TYPE_create are not what
we want. The problem is that C does not allow for overloaded
constructors. I would suggest a typical solution for C++, create a
clone method.

ILNode_TYPE_clone, one that takes the node that it will replace. This
will allow for the semantics of the create to be separated from that of
creation. Then of course the editing of the files could be helped with
some logic, the issue is really to determine which functions are
responsable for modification of nodes.

Otherwise, a warning in the right place if a node has no line number
would help.

Let me know how you want to proceed.
mike

=====