Re: [DotGNU]A request for help ... a mass effort

From: James Michael DuPont
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]A request for help ... a mass effort
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 15:53:25 -0800 (PST)

--- Gopal V <address@hidden> wrote:
> If memory serves me right, James Michael DuPont wrote:
> > ILNode_TYPE_clone, one that takes the node that it will replace.
> This
> > will allow for the semantics of the create to be separated from
> that of
> > creation.
>
> It's not always that way .... for example for an implied no argument
> constructor node, there is not "clone" step ... It's  create a
> ".ctor"
> method out of the blue ...

Yes that is when you are creating a node for the first time. not based
on another node? That is the meaning of _create right?

But for the cases where you *DO* clone, does it not make sense to
create an extra set of functions for the job?

> In that case I fill in the filename & linenums with the entries of
> the
> class defn's identifier (name of class) ...
If you are creating a class.

> > Otherwise, a warning in the right place if a node has no line
> number
> > would help.
>
> Any ILNode_<x>_Create() will automatically fill in from the filename
> and
> linenum entries in the parser ... So it will most probably be the
> last
> line of the last file for each node ...
>
> > Let me know how you want to proceed.
>
> Identifying the location of creation and the *appropriate*
> substitution is
> a very human task .. There are so many possibilities and so little
> cases
> that it's easier to do it manually ...

yes, that is fine. I will have to look into the newest code and try an
find some areas to start with.
Well, I will start trying to find some nodes that dont have line
numbers. I will tell you what I find and try and fix some.

> Also to make another point clear .. Now that cscc works most of the
> time,
> let's fix its' error reporting :-).

That is great news. I am interested in trying to see if some of the
crashes that I found still crash the compiler. Also doing some coverage
testing would still be interesting.

Mike

=====
James Michael DuPont