Re: [Duplicity-talk] OSError: [Errno 35] Resource temporarily unavailabl

From: Chris Poole
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] OSError: [Errno 35] Resource temporarily unavailable
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 13:07:50 +0100

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 12:56 PM, Kenneth Loafman <address@hidden> wrote:
> http://krypted.com/mac-os-x/maximum-files-in-mac-os-x/ <-- see this?

Yes, or at least a similar article. It didn't work though, Mac OS X
does some different things to Linux and friends in this regard it
seems (including *BSD).

I have, however, just found a likely solution:

http://superuser.com/questions/302754/increase-the-maximum-number-of-open-file-descriptors-in-snow-leopard

I've just tried this, then set ulimit, and it worked. I have removed
the old backup I was having problems with, so it's too late for me to
try it, but it may prove useful for others in the future. TL;DR, `sudo
launchctl limit maxfiles 1000000` will let you set `ulimit -n 100000`.
(This is both a hard and soft limit.)

> Good plan.  Also good name for a backup system: "Horcrux Backup".

Actually I've written a little wrapper for Duplicity called 'horcrux'.
I'm just writing a little documentation for it. I've been testing it
for months now, using it to run all my Duplicity backups, and it seems
reliable. (I tried others like Duply but wanted to roll my own and
learn, and they didn't fit the exact use model I was after.)