Re: [Duplicity-talk] Python 3

From: Kenneth Loafman
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Python 3
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 06:28:01 -0500

2011/8/21 Michael Terry <address@hidden>
2011/8/21 Kenneth Loafman <address@hidden>
Who is still on Python 2.3?

RHEL 4 users are.  Though, agreed, I suspect the intersection of RHEL 4 users and those who want the latest duplicity is zero.

I think the RedHat 6-year cycle is about as far back as I want to go.

Well, I was trying to ascertain whether you were applying a general 6-years-is-old-enough rule of thumb or whether you were actually trying to match specific RedHat support cycles.

I was just curious when 2.4 support might sunset.  I had an ulterior motive because I'm working on dropping our custom tarfile.py and using the system's copy instead, but 2.4's version is just broken.

I can work around it by just updating our custom version to a copy of 2.7's tarfile.py and making it work with 2.4,

I'm not in favor of supporting 2.4 that much longer, but I believe we should watch out for using 2.7's tarfile since it probably is not compatible with 2.4.

When does Python 2.4 sunset for Ubuntu and Debian?  Perhaps that's the date we should be shooting for.  6 years is multiple generations in software terms and it's getting to be a real pain to maintain backwards compatibility with the older Python versions.  The easiest goal would be to maintain compatibility with the oldest LTS offering.

...Ken