edu-eu

[edu-eu] European Schoolnet and the Future Classroom Lab

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: [edu-eu] European Schoolnet and the Future Classroom Lab
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2012 09:48:01 +0100

Hi

a friend of mine is involved in an european project which promotes the use of ICT in public schools:

http://fcl.eun.org/living-schools-lab
http://www.europeanschoolnet.org/

This project is coordinated by several Ministries of Education, but it's also supported by some big ICT players, as you can see here:
http://fcl.eun.org/participate

My friend is concerned about the presence of these companies. It's quite likely that they are going to use the project to promote their products. As far as I can see, all these companies produce proprietary software or hardware.

What can we do to guarantee the presence of Free Software projects and companies in this project? Is there any European directive which recommends the use of Free Software in such situations?

I think that FSFE may take a stand and do some "lobbying" about this project. What do you think?

Thanks,
Federico