[emacs-bidi] RTL support

From: Gregg Reynolds
Subject: [emacs-bidi] RTL support
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 11:05:43 -0600

Hi,

Regarding support for Arabic, Hebrew, etc. there are three elements:

  a.  RTL layout
  b.  Shaping
  c.  Bidi reordering

For myself, support for the first two, without bidi reordering, would be fantastic. Usually when I work in Arabic, I don't need bidi support. IMO it should be considered an add-on. Actually I think the way Vim does it is the way to go - each feature can be dis/enabled independently.

So how hard would it be to add plain RTL layout first, and then Arabic shaping?

thanks,

gregg