[emacs-bidi] Re: RTL support

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: [emacs-bidi] Re: RTL support
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 13:33:54 +0100

   Eli> That's true, and we decided here long time ago to store
   Eli> characters in the logical order in Emacs buffers.  The reasons
   Eli> were not only that most other software in the world made the
   Eli> same decision (and thus if we want to be able to import text
   Eli> from outside we are better off with logical order), but also
   Eli> which way would make common Emacs operations, like searching,
   Eli> easier.

Right, although this is now a long time ago, I recall I gave some lisp
implementation a try in which a visual method was used. Even
Ehud version (which was by far the best around) did not do line
breaking very well. I tried to set up my own and did not succeed in
anything really usable, so I am not sure whether it is that easy at it
least not at the lisp level. May be if it is done correctly on the C
level it is different.