Re: [emacs-bidi] Callbacks?

From: Martin Duerst
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Callbacks?
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 16:04:18 +0900

At 18:45 05/11/29, Ehud Karni wrote:

>From reading your article, I see that you are aware of these
>problems, but I don't understand your solution.
>
>You have to accomplish 2 things:
>1. The string should be displayed right in the intended application
>   (in you case XML/HTML, but it can other e.g. PDF source, bash
>   script). My personal belief is that there is NO universal way
>   to do this.

We have concentrated on XML/HTML. I believe that our approach
should be applicable to other formats, but of course some amount
of work will be needed for each format. In emacs, this should
in the end be possible to do what's necessary as part of the
mode used for that format.

>2. When the created file is read (again) for editing, these strings
>   should be seen (on screen) EXACTLY as it was when it was entered.

If using the same editor, definitely. But we also found that there
can be some personal preferences, so if you changed your preferences,
the display would change.

>   As you pointed out, this should not be done by embedded controlling
>   characters. It can be done by adding a commented part that is
>   used by Emacs, but ignored by the intended application.

What exactly do you mean by 'commented part'? HTML/XML comments
like <!-- this is a comment --> ? I think that could be used for
saving some document-specific settings, but it won't be possible
to use this to actually influence the display behavior.

Regards,    Martin.