[emacs-bidi] Callbacks?

From: Martin Duerst
Subject: [emacs-bidi] Callbacks?
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 17:20:13 +0900

At 04:48 05/11/24, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>>  http://www.m17n.org/emacs-bidi/

>The ``other ongoing attempt'' it refers to is the code I wrote, but
>unfortunately no one had time to work on it since it was written and
>integrated into the Emacs display engine.  It needs a lot of
>debugging.

Hello Eli,

Here's yet another question re. your implementation:

At the last Internationalization and Unicode Conference,
I presented a paper that looked at the problems of displaying
(X)HTML or XML with bidi text.
(http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp/2005/pub/IUC28-bidi/IUC28.html,
see also http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp/2005/pub/IUC28-bidi/
for more pointers)

Around August, we had an extensive discussion with Ken'ichi
and Naoto in Tokyo, and came to the conclusion that it should
probably be possible to implement this approach in emacs using
the bidi version at http://www.m17n.org/emacs-bidi/.

I'd like to know your oppinion on whether this might also be
possible with your version (the ``other ongoing attempt''
above). What's necessary is either that your algorithm looks
at some well-known character properties that e.g. a mode for
a particular document format could set, or that it provides
callbacks. There may of course be also other ways to do this.

Regards,    Martin.