Re: Status of my GTK efforts.

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Status of my GTK efforts.
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 11:17:04 -0700 (MST)

    > No, it means more code, and more complexity.  We must keep supporting
    > XTread_socket.  Your way, we would have to support both that and another
    > way of doing the same job.

    It is not really the same job.  It looks like it is the difference
    between making GTK work or not.

If the old code can't work, I guess we need to install other code for
this job.

    Well, works is a relative concept.  This still handles GdkEvent:s, not
    XEvent:s, it filters WM_protocols, does compression of enter/leave and
    so on.

Given that GDK has its own event type, I guess it is not unreasonable
that it wants to use that type.  So I think the real question is, does
the support for that type enable apps to do what they need to do.

You mentioned one flaw, that you can't pass the GdkEvent to GTK and
get its widgets to handle the event.  I'd like to have a "complete"
list (or as complete as your experience can give you) before I talk
with them.

Could you explain in more detail what it means to filter WM_protocols,
and what it means to compress enter/leave events?